As an assignment for my environmental science class, I was told to calculate my ecological footprint. So, I went to the site provided, http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/calculators/, and preceded to follow the instructions. First I chose my location, and then I began. After choosing my avatar I answered the detailed questions about my lifestyle instead of the basic questions. After a few inputs I was done and the information below was presented to me. It was a real eye-opener, as I found out that it would take 3.5 Earths to provide enough resources if everyone lived like me. This got me to think about how many Earths it would take for someone who doesn't recycle, and use a lot more resources than I do. Broken down I notices that my largest area of resource consumption is services, 56% to be exact. This is something that I would like to work on, but it will take some work. Exploring different scenarios lead me to reducing the number of Earths from 3.5 to 3.1, a small start but still better than before. I hope to decrease my ecological footprint overtime by changing things I can. Feel free to check out your own footprint by clicking the link above.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Your 3.5 ecological footprint really puts my 5.4 into perspective. You are definitely a lot more environmentally friendly than I am, but 3.5 is still well...more than we have. It wasn't until reading about your footprint that I actually realized how much work being truly "green" is. By the way, Nujabes was a great choice.
Post a Comment